Town of Marshville, Director of Public Works
Town of Marshville
TOWN OF MARSHVILLE
Job Description: Director of Public Works
Job Description: Director of Public Works
Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Under the direction of the Town Manager, the public works director plans, organizes, leads and directs the activities of the Public Works Department and is responsible for coordination, administration and management of all Town engineering and public works functions. The Public Works Department is responsible for long range strategic planning as well as the oversite of maintenace of Water, Sewer, Streets, Right-of-Ways, Facilities, and the Town Cemetery. Other Town owned property and equitment, as well as assisting in projects that enhance the safety and/or appearance of the Town. The Public Works Director supervises all employees of the department,
co-ordinates with consultants, contractors and other Department Heads as needed.
EDUCATION: Preferably a degree from an accredited college or university in a related field or equivalent combination of education and expereience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: Knowledge of a variety of mechanical and skilled maintenance procedures; knowledge of regulatory requirements in all techincal aspects of the department; Knowledge of safety compliance specific to OSHA and NCDOT; knowledge of the principles and practices of street, sidewalk, water, and sewer construction and maintenance; ability to plan, direct and evaluate the work of subordinates and contractors; ability to establish and maintain good working relationships and to represent the Town at meetings and hearings; ability to use equipment as needed including computer applications related to work.
Must have at least a B distribution and cross-connection certification from the NC Operators Certification Program and a Grade 2 NC Water Pollution Control System Operators Certification. Must possess, or have ability to obtain prior to employment, a valid NC State Driver's License. NC Pesticide License with subclass in Right of Way and Ornamentals is a plus.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Prepare and administer the department budget in assigned area of responsibility, documenting budget requests and preparing short and long range plans to fund anticipated needs in all areas of responsibility.
- Plan and schedule maintenance of Town owned cemetery, water and sewer lines and pump stations, streets, sidewalks and parking lots, buildings and other town owned property and equipment.
- Maintain and update as needed Sewer Plan, Water Plan, Capital Improvement Plan Powell Bill Map and all other plans involving municipal infrastructure, seeking to establish a better computer/GIS database of town resources.
- Insure that the Department complies with all Statues, Regulations and Requirements, including reporting requirements, imposed by various governamental entities, particularly those requirements concerning public safety.
- Plan and schedule daily work for all employees of the Public Works Department.
- Assign duties, determine work schedules and procedures and expedite workflow, providing written and oral instructions and implementing policies and procedures that would improve efficiency and effectiveness of operations, subject to the approval of the Town Manager.
- Attend all Town Council meetings
- Review the performance of assigned personnel and conduct annual performance appraisals.
- Maintain harmony among workers, resovle grievances and promote interdepartmental cooperation and community service.
- Act as Town Safety Officer, investigating complaints or workman's comp claims and coordinating with the Town Clerk to insure timely filing of OSHA reports and insurance claims or notifications.
- Oversee project management for the construction of municipal public works projects to ensure compliance with time and budget and other parameters set for the project, including that Powell Bill Funds are expended according to rules set forth by the State of NC and all grant funds expended through the public works department comply with the requirements of the grant.
- Coordinate and implement approved work projects with outside agencies, consultants and contractors; maintain regular contact with consulting engineers, construction project engineers, Town, County, and Federal Agency representatives regarding department activities and services as required.
- Consider stormwater runoff and flood plains in planning projects.
- Administer the Floodplain Program and serve as Floodplain Administrator
- Respond to public or other inquiries relating to department policies, procedures and projects.
- Keep current on actions affecting Public Works; evaluate issues and options regarding municipal public works and make recommendations to the Town Manager.
- Promote training and education, including on the job training and leading by example.
- Perform other duties as directed by the Town Manager and keep the Town Manager fully informed concerning any issues, concerns, needs and success stories involving Public Works and Public Works employees.
The public works director must be capable of performing the functions and duties of all subordinates.
While performing the duties of this job the employee will spend some time inside on paper work and meetings but mostly works in outside weather conditions. The employee works near moving mechanical parts, sometimes in precarious places, and is exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The noise level in the work enviroment is usually quiet to moderate, but there is occasional exposure to loud noises associated with heavy equipment.
***SALARY RANGE: $55,000-$65,000 based on experience and qualifications.***